A shooting in Newark, New Jersey, killed a 10-year-old boy and a 21-year-old woman and injured three others on Saturday…. See more

Two people, including a child, were killed in a shooting in Newark, New Jersey, on Saturday, and another child and two adults were injured.

The Essex County prosecutor’s office said Newark police officers were sent to Chancellor Avenue near Wainwright Street around 7 p.m. for a report of a shooting.

At least two victims — a 10-year-old boy and a 21-year-old woman — were taken to University Hospital, where both were pronounced dead. Their names were not immediately released.

The prosecutor’s office said three other victims — an 11-year-old boy, a 19-year-old man and a 60-year-old man — were also hurt. All three are reported to be in stable condition. The severity of their injuries is unknown at this time.

It is unclear what led up to the shooting or if anyone has been taken into custody. There was no word on who pulled the trigger or if the shooter and any victims knew each other.

The prosecutor’s office said it will provide updates on the investigation at a news conference at 10 a.m. Monday.

Gov. Phil Murphy wrote in a post on X that he had been updated on the shooting, adding, “Please pray for the victims and their families.”

Newark Mayor Ras J. Baraka released a statement calling Saturday “a dark and devastating day in Newark.”

“We will not rest until there is justice for the parents and families left behind in unspeakable pain and grief. Newark will work tirelessly with the prosecutor’s office, state law-enforcement, and federal agencies to ensure justice is served. We urge the killer to turn himself in, as there is no safe place to hide,” he wrote, in part. “Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and everyone affected by this trauma. Our prayers are with them – and our actions will support them.”

Police blocked off a large portion of Chancellor Avenue as they gathered evidence Saturday night. Multiple red cups were seen marking shell casings on the sidewalk.

The massive police presence shook the neighborhood.

“It’s disturbing,” said Lamonte Vaughn, with the Office of Violence Prevention and Trauma Recovery. “These family members are absolutely traumatized by what happened to their loved ones, and therefore we need to be there for them as well.”

“As a father I feel bad, sad. I don’t want to hear news like that,” a man who works in the area said.

According to Newark Police data, shooting incidents in the area have decreased each year since 2022, with 33 reports of shots fired in Precinct 5 so far this year.

The prosecutor’s office said the investigation is active and ongoing, and no further information is available at this time.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office Tips Line at 1-877-847-7432. Tips can be made anonymously. A reward of up to $10,000 is being offered for information leading to an arrest.

Noelle Lilley contributed to this report.

Related Posts

Community in Mourning After Tragic Loss of 37-Year-Old Woman in Road Accident

Communities are often reminded how fragile life can be when unexpected tragedies occur. Recently, one such heartbreaking incident has left a deep mark, as a 37-year-old woman…

99 year old man k!lls his own wife after discovering that she was M… see more

The tragic story of a 99-year-old man who killed his own wife after discovering a shocking secret raises profound questions about human psychology, aging, betrayal, and the…

Two students found dead during routine school trip –footage reveals what happened seconds before crash

What should have been an exciting day for a group of middle school students quickly turned into a devastating tragedy on a quiet stretch of Highway 70…

Vance Says Ilhan Omar ‘Definitely’ Committed Immigration Fraud

Vice President JD Vance stated unequivocally in an interview with conservative podcaster Benny Johnson that aired Friday that Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) committed fraud to enter the…

Donald Trump Suggests He’ll Run For Office In Another Country After US Presidency

Donald Trump said he may one day seek office in Venezuela, making the remark in a joking exchange during a cabinet meeting that nonetheless underscored how dramatically…

Donald Trump names one country that could be targeted next

Tensions continue to rise, and fresh concerns have been sparked about potential military action after Donald Trump hinted that Cuba could “be next.” Since stepping into his…